Wednesday 20 March 2013

Holidays

A friend of mine happened to mention that he was trying to arrange a couple of days away in a hotel for a break and it got me thinking of holidays.
Now, anyone who knows me knows that I'm not exactly slow when holidays are mentioned so it just jogged me into action as we had been considering taking a break in Spain later this Spring. Even though we are already on the right side of the Channel to drive, it is still about a 2 day drive to Spain so I started looking at ferries from France to Northern Spain which is a 14hr sailing and not really cheap at around 300 euros return.
I then thought about flying as we have a local airport in Brest about an hours drive away. However a flight and hotel for a week in Tenerife came out at a 1076 euros each! On top of that I would have almost certainly wanted to hire a car. It just seemed a lot of money for a short flight and hotel.

As I was thinking things through an email from TravelZoo arrived, this is a weekly email with their top 20 travel deals which I have used several times in the past and can definitely  recommend.

Five minutes later I was off the phone having booked a week in late May to Florida from Gatwick total cost £389 each which includes Flights, all taxes, a three star hotel and a hire car including insurance for the week!

What a bargain, Oh well I will have to drive up to the tunnel again but I just couldn't pass that up.

Sarasota Beach at Sunset Photo: roger4336, used under Creative Commons License (By 2.0)

It's a hard life being retired!

1 comment:

  1. Hey wait a minute...our visit in a couple of weeks to see you costs about the same??!!?! Time to cancel that parent trip and take in the USA sunshine instead :-)

    ReplyDelete